For a long time, AX stood in line behind other products in the EMC portfolio, patiently waiting for updates, improvements, and enhancements. All the while, the workhorse that is AX performed consistently and reliably. Under EMC’s management AX never made it to the front of the development line.
Now owned by OpenText, a new day is dawning for AX! We are pleased to see AX receiving priority in development cycles and a true roadmap for future enhancements from OpenText. If you haven’t seen AX’s new makeover, you’re going to be shocked when you do.
The move to 16.3 is to match the OpenText numbering system as well as to reflect the newly updated version of AX. For those of you used to the old numbering, AX 16.3 is the equivalent of AX 8.2
New FeaturesHere's what's new with ApplicationXtender 16.3 compared with 8.1:
- Web based scanning for zero install environments (browser client users)
- A new faster thumbnail preview
- Integrated text search and a new OCR engine
- The new AX 16.3 OCR engine decreases processing time when compared to the performance of AX 7. AX16.3 also halves processing time for small documents and decreasing the time by 20% for files greater than 400 pages.
AX 16.3 Performance vs. AX 8.1
OpenText has tested AX 16.3 against AX 8.1 for 28 different user tasks across different parts of ApplicationXtender. Here are the results:
- Sign-in: 42% faster
- Administration (e.g creating a query): 18% faster
- Navigation (e.g. opening an app): 31% faster
- Search (e.g. running a query): 43% faster
- Repository (e.g. opening a document): 59% faster
- Batch (e.g. uploading a batch): 24% faster
Note: the performance testing is now more comprehensive, so we do not have comparable data points for AX 7 and AX 16.3. We do know that for key rendering and access measurables AX 8.1 is about 20% better than AX 7, so these performance enhancements will be similar for AX 7 to AX 16.3.
As you can see, a lot has been done to improve AX! AX is now faster and stronger than ever and still provides the reliability and stability your company has counted on for so long. If you are ready to discuss your options for upgrading AX or just want to get a look at the beautiful new look, let us know!